Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 20, 2010

Hello everybody! How are you doing?

I am doing very well! This last week was pretty good. Not the best week that I have ever had but it was still good. I know that it was good though because I was able to recognize the Lord's hand in my life. I feel like  that is a good way to measure a successful week. If we were able to notice the small miracles that the Lord blesses us with. We are blessed every day but sometimes, most of the time, we are too "busy" (a.k.a. selfish) to see them. With my district I have been trying to emphasize this idea. It has helped them find more joy in their missionary work. If it can help missionaries find more joy in their work, which is hard and taxing, then it can help all of you that are at home. In your lives you get blessed daily which are these small miracles I am talking about. As you learn to recognize those miracles and then begin to be thankful for them, your life will begin to become a rich and enlightening experience. You will be able to find true joy, which is what our goal was to do when we came to earth.

Anyway I had to focus on that this week because it was a pretty slow week. We did however find 2 new investigators. One is a former investigator and the wife of a less-active member. They are both in the Air Force and so they are pretty busy. We went over there and they were very nice and she seems like she wants to know the truth so that is good. We have a appointment with them this next week. The next new investigator came from a potential investigator. We went to visit this couple that had told past missionaries to come back. We found out that they moved and now there is another lady living there. She was heading out to her grandson's football game but she said we could come back this Tuesday. I am so excited for that!!!! So this week was slow as far as teaching but we were able to find more people to teach. I hope that this last week sets us up for the rest of the transfer as far as investigators go. We also have an appointment with another investigator tonight. So we are getting blessed -- we have just had to be patient with our blessings.

That is one more thing that I have learned on my mission -- that if we want blessings we have to first be willing to acknowledge prior blessings and then be willing to wait for blessings. When we do the first we usually find it easier to do the second. As we recognize we have been blessed, we should know that blessings will come -- we just need to be patient.

So for some more exciting news. We were almost right in the middle of a tornado!!!!! It was way crazy! We went to dinner in the outskirts of this city called Mulvane. After dinner was over the members we were with started getting phone calls warning them of tornados in the area. So my companion, Elder Aydelotte, and I went for our cameras in our bags and ran outside. We got some cool pictures of the clouds outside and video. The clouds right above the house were swirling but they weren't forming a funnel cloud yet. Then the phone calls became more urgent so we went to their basement for a short time. The radio gave us the all clear and we went right back outside. I guess in some parts of Wichita they had HUGE hail. There were 9 tornados that touched down and some of them were in the city of Mulvane. Nobody from the ward was hurt so that is good. I thought I wanted to steer clear of tornados but now I really really want to see one in person. Maybe another time I still have one more tornado season.

Well that is it. I love you all and remember to count your blessings! 
--
Sincerely,
Elder Zachary Taylor


Picture of the clouds during the storm.

Pictures of after the storm.

Pic of me by a cool sign in a Lutheran church parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment