Monday, November 16, 2009

November 16, 2009

Hi! Hows everything going!? I just want to begin by saying I love you all! Yes I got my medication but I've only gotten one sweater so far. Keep an eye on my bank account please cause I have to buy a bike soon. We have a car one week then the next we have a bike. The extra memory cards sound like a great idea! If you send memory cards don't send them in a regular letter, a lot of missionaries say the get lost. Send them in a padded manilla envelope like the one I sent you that book in. The address for the mission office is 517 W. Walnut St. Independence, MO 64050. Send everything there with "Elder Zachary Taylor" on it and they will get it to me. If its a package you must send Priority Mail First Class or they can't forward it to me.

I am in the Blue Mills Ward in Independence Missouri. I am staying in a member's home. Their name is the Godfrey's. Its a little weird though because the Godfrey family has 2 younger kids and a older woman who is married and has 3 or 4 kids. (still haven't gotten that straight yet) Normally we wouldn't be able to live there because of the children, but we can. I don't really know why but I guess its nice and it'll save me laundry money.

The weather here is really weird. One second its warm and the next its overcast, cold, and raining. There are no mountains here at all, so its really hard for me to get my bearings, but it'll happen eventually. Lately its been windy and cold and rainy. The wind cuts through most clothes like they weren't there. Not a place for Mom or Britt lol.

My companion's name is Elder Jordan Owens. He is from Logan, Utah. He is really cool and chill. We get along much better than me and my MTC companion. He is from India but was adopted when he was 4 months old. He has been out like 21 and a half months, so he is going home in Jan. Then I'll get a new companion.

(Elder Taylor & Elder Owens)

Elder Owens says that Pres. Van Komen likes to keep his missionaries in one area for a long time. He say its likely that I will be here for 6 months or more. Which is cool cause then I can get to know the people very well. Pres. Van Komen and Sis. Van Komen are very very loving. I liked being around them and they made us all feel so comfortable. I'm excited to spend most of my mission with them. I will probably get a new mission pres. for my last 6 months.

The ward is not big but its 85%-90% Samoan. They are a different people. It seems like you have to prove yourself to them. They are cool and we get fed pretty much every night, which will cause me to gain weight :( They keep putting food on your plate even when you are full.

We don't do tracting at all, atleast not yet anyway. We have spent all our time visiting inactive people. There are a lot here. As soon as they get baptized they come and the fall off the face of the earth. We have visited some and they are nice but they have so many excuses of why they can't come to church. If they only understood how much it could bless their lives. We visit them and share a message with them. The spirit is there but they just don't seem to feel it. I really really want them to feel the spirit again cause if they do they will be remember why they joined the church in the first place.

There is one family in the ward who is incredibly nice. Their door is always open to us.They have had us over for meals anytime we are hungry. They have 4 boys. One is 11 and his name is Ronald his is big for his age and he is really cool. Then there is LouAllen, but we call him Munchie, he is a sophmore in high school and plays football. Then there is Jared he is a junior in high school and is the star linebacker but he recently tore his ACL so he is out. Then there is Ezra, he is 18 and graduated when I did, he is joining the Air Force soon. Their parents both served missions and are like second parents to us.

We might have 2 baptisms soon! There names are Cindy and Trey Hunt. Cindy is Trey's grandmother and is his guardian. They are really nice and called us and asked us to baptize them. I'm so excited to see their baptism because it'll change their lives so much!

Love you all so much! Can't wait to hear back from you next Monday, which are my P-days. You all have had such an impact on getting me here THANK YOU!!!!

Love,
Elder Zachary Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment