Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011

Hello everybody! Sorry I didn't email last week but on Monday all the libraries were closed because it was Martin Luther King Jr. day. So we were going to email the very next day but then my companion got sick so we didn't have the chance.

The week before he got sick was really good though. We did a lot of service for our family that we are living with. They were in charge of putting on a Fiesta for the ward and so we helped them make lots and lots of food for it. everyday of the week we did something. We mostly cooked cakes for Tres Leches or we were cooking bacon and wrapping it around hot dogs. It was really quite fun. On Friday morning we cooked a lot of bacon and the sisters were over chopping onions. I am a wimp when it comes to onions so I was crying like a baby haha. It was really funny.

On Friday night was the actual fiesta. It was really cool! We got there early and they had all sorts fo stuff up and they were testing the sound. It was kind of weird because all night they were playing music that I haven't heard i a really long time. I won't lie I liked it a little bit. We served the food at the party so that was fun. Saturday we had lots of success as far as finding people who said they were willing to let us teach them.

Sunday we went to this Jewish/ LDS chat. Where there was a representative from each group and then they were able to ask each other questions. It was very eductional and I liked being able to hear Jewish beliefs from a Jewish Rabbi and not from others. Then Monday we played some good ball and it was really fun. Tuesday is when my companion got sick. We have been inside ever since. It was cool because the sisters in the ward felt bad for me and they brought me some stuff to do. They are the best!

So I guess that I will tell you a little bit about my area. It is a poor area and it covers inner city Kansas City, KS. So it is the most ghetto area I have had to put it bluntly. I think that someone told me it may be the most ghetto area of the mission. I was excited to hear that because that means, hopefully, that people are humble and ready to make a change in their lives. As I have been here and working the area I haven't felt threatened at all. Lots of the people here see us as messangers of God and tend to treat us with more respect than I have ever been treated before. I think it is really cool. We use the bus a lot and that is a great place to find people to teach. We have taught some lessons on the bus and found some promising people. I am thankful for all the finding opportunities here. I would tell everyone not to worry about me here because the Lord is watching over me.
We use to have a part time car but as of last night we don't. The other elders had it and were going down a hill. Now there is lots of ice. As they were going down the hill they couldn't stop and went out into traffic on State St. a truck hit them going 35 mph or so but they are ok. They got out of the car and walked away but as for the car it is totaled so it is back to the buses for us. Maybe it will be a good thing. Well that is it I will talk to you all later! LOVE YOU!!!!
--
Sincerely,
Elder Zachary Taylor

 E. Decker, Mike, and I

 On transfers

 E. Decker and I (my boy)

 E. McMullin and I

No comments:

Post a Comment