Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6, 2011

Hello everybody! I am sending this email out late because of the holiday we had on Monday and then we had a meeting Tuesday so we couldn't email then.

We will start off with Monday the 27th. It was a pretty good day. It started off with us picking up the Sherwood elders and taking them with us to Sis. Yomner's place. She is in a retirement home and she needed help watering some flowers so we told her we would come over and do it for her. She is really nice, she acts like our grandmother. Whenever we leave it is with goodies in hand. This time she made a chocolate pie for us. It was BOMB! We then had our normal p-day activity of basketball nothing spectacular happened. We were going on exchanges afterwards and I was going to be with Elder Combs, who is from Henderson, NV. It was pretty fun. Our dinner wasn't prepared so we ended up spending a long time there and only had time to walk home after. We then planned and played "Hand and Foot" with the members they live with. It was fun.

Tuesday we switched back after zoo service. This time I was with Elder Kamalu and we planted this grass stuff in a flower bed. It was exhilarating.... NOT. It was fun though because Elder Kamalu is cool. We then went to lunch at B-dubs [NOTE - Buffalo Wild Wings]. It is the perfect time to go because it is all you can eat wings and fries from 11 to 2. My stomach wasn't happy with me afterwards. We went up to Auburn that day and taught some cool people. We found a friend for one of our investigators so that was exciting! We then had a good dinner. We taught a guy afterwards and we think he was listening to us out of courtesy but would keep an open mind. Come to find out that he just has a social conversion to his current church. We have come to know that most other people don't go to a church because they believe their doctrine to be true but because they have friends there. That is why friends are important to have in our church at first then they are able to gain a testimony.

Wednesday was good. We had a district meeting and that was alright. We then had an appointment with the Dawson's. They invited a friend over to be taught. It was really cool! He has been to church before and we invited him to be baptized and he said he wanted to be but we didn't set a day. We taught him about baptism and the blessings that come from following the example of Jesus Christ in all things, including baptism. Our dinner then gave us money to go out to eat and we had a coupon so we saved some of the money. We also had an appointment with our recent converts mom and she is going to be baptized at the end of this month.

Thursday was busy too. We had to have the other district have their district meeting on Thursday because we had a zone leader council on Friday. The meeting was good and I learned something from it. We had to be home by 2 30 because of some appointment of the other elders. We walked around a long and it was HOT! I mean 95 degrees and 90% humidity. It was like swimming in a jacuzzi! It was horrible and on top of that we were fasting that day. We had a good dinner with a recently widowed woman in our ward. It was homemade orange chicken mmmmmmmm delicioso! We then went over to the Davis, recently baptized, because Bro. Davis invited his sister over to meet with us. She is super legit and so are the Davis'. They basically gave her an overview of the whole Gospel of Jesus Christ and told her what it could do for her for about 1.5 hours. We sat there and didn't say much and we were in awe at how well they taught. I know it was the Holy Ghost because they spoke nothing but truth and doctrine.

Friday we had zone leader council and we were excited to meet the new mission president and his wife. Their names are Pres. and Sis. Keyes (pronounced Kize). They are so awesome! I love them! I felt just as connected with them instantly as I did to Pres and Sis Van Komen when they left. He is someone special and has a great spirit about him. We got interviewed while we were there because they are trying to interview all of the missionaries as soon as possible. On our way home we ran into some traffic. We took some dirt roads to get back to Lawrence and then we went on exchanges with the University elders. I went with Elder Larsen in our area. He is really funny! We had a good exchange. We helped move some new people in from Spokanne Washington. They are really cool and said we could bring people to their house any time to teach. We then had to go find dinner that night because ours got sick. We also had a good lesson with our recent convert's mother.

Saturday we switched back early in the day because of something we had going on. We were able to see Cliff who just had surgery. Then we got to see Moi and he had a friend onver so we were able to teach him as well.  He works at Rib Crib and said he would hook us up if we went there.  We had a correlation with Bro. Parrish and it was really effective. We then had to go find dinner I can't remember what we did. We had a team up that night with a young man who has his papers in and should be recieving his mission call anytime now. He taught Bro. Davis' sister with us and she wants to be baptized on July 16th! We are super excited! She wants her 4 boy that are at home to be baptized too! Our team up was great! We then went to the store to get cinnamon disks for our investigator who is trying to quite smoking and pop rocks. They don't sell pop rocks as much any more.

Sunday was alright. It was a good testimony meeting and one of our recent converts got to stay for all the meeting for the first time. She usually has to work. I wasn't feeling very good and one of our member's, Sis. Jones made a comment about it so we went to take a nap. As I woke up I felt much better. We then put in numbers and got those off. While we were doing numbers we got a call from Sis. Jones that said she was worried about me and had made some soup and was wondering if I wanted some. So we went to dinner and had some really good steaks. We also tried to visit some people afterwards but had no luck. We then went to the Jones house and their kids were outside playing basketball so we figured it was a trap for us to play ball with them but it wasn't. Sis. Jones came outside and made sure I didn't play anything but HORSE. She also gave me some really good advice. They are really cool and love missionaries and they really like us. I love their family and they help us out a lot. Mom you would be proud of them and would like them.

Monday we had planned to get together as a zone and go bowling and play soccer. I did alright in bowling and got a 136 and a 159. For soccer we played on a artifical field and it was SUPER DUPER HOT! We played for a couple of hours but then got too tired. We then came back to Topeka and washed our car and went to dinner. Our dinner also fed the Sherwood elders because they didn't have a dinner.

Tuesday we had zone conference. It was Elder Harmon and myself's responsibility to conduct and run it and neither of us had ever done it before. It went pretty well though. We gave a training to our zone and as I was up there training I felt the Holy Spirit with me. I know others felt the Spirit because elders who usually don't care even participated! It was exciting! We then went on exchanges with the assisitants. I went with Elder Nicholes, who I came out with, and it was really cool. We went to the Dawson's and taught their friend. He is now set to be baptized on July 24th! Elder Harmon and Elder Lesuma had a cool miracle and found a lady who wants to be baptized as well!

I know that the Lord is here with all His missionaries. He wants us to succeed and not only the missionaries but each and every one of His children. He loves us all more deeply than we will ever be able to understand. I love you all as well!




Your Friend,
Elder Zachary Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment