Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great week! I sure have. I have been lucky enough to learn lots and lots of new things this week.
Monday was a good day. We got to play lots of basketball and I was on a team with a couple of guys who I really like to play with. While we were playing we got some information that we needed to go see someone in the hospital. He was diagnosed with leukemia. We went after we had dinner because they said it wasn't urgent and that he would be there for a long time. When we got to the hospital we found the area but it was locked down because of the state of the people that were inside. We had to buzz our way in through one set of doors and then had to wash our hands and wipe down any hard objects we had. We also had to leave our coats in that room. We then had to buzz through another set of doors. When we got inside we were told we also had to wear these yellow aprons. We looked a little funny. It was good though because when we went inside the man said "I have been waiting to see you guys!" with a huge smile on his face. He was really excited that we were there and he talked to us for quite some time. We then gave him a blessing. This man had the most positive outlook on life. He knew that this challenge was put in his life by God to get him back on track. He had told us that he hadn't been to church in a while but he was trying and now with this he realizes how much God is in control. He said it opened his eyes and he knows he will be alright and will come out of this a new man. I was very touched by how much faith he had in the Plan of Happiness. He was a very sick man but yet he didn't turn his back on God. In fact his trial brought him closer to God. I learned a great lesson from him and I was also rebuked. I have let things get me down and that was very selfish of me. I cannot let anything do that. When I do I am doing exactly what Satan wants me to do. I am out here to fight AGAINST Satan and if I am doing what he wants me to do that seems counterproductive. That was just Monday and I learned this! I knew it was going to be a good week.
Tuesday was very.... interesting. The people we live with, the Stevens, are out of town and we have a little apartment attached to their house. There is a young man living with them named Brion until he gets deployed in August. During our studies we heard the house alarm going off. We called Brion but he didn't answer. I had heard him leave that morning so we knew he wasn't home. The police came and they found out that a dog was inside so they said it was probably him. We called the Stevens and they said that their dog is too small to set off an alarm. We inspected the house but there wasn't anything wrong with it. For the next hour or so we heard sounds coming from upstairs. After one very distinct sound the alarm went off again. We ran out to check all the doors and there was nothing. We called Brion again and he said he knew what was going on and came home. It turns out his little brother got into some trouble and asked to come over early that morning so he set off the alarms. That was a huge relief for us and then we just laughed afterwards because we thought it was something more. We then went to Taco Tuesday. I am going to miss those when it comes time for me to leave because they are really fun. We then tried to visit some people that day but nobody was home. We were a little frustrated but that went away when we started to prepare our talks for the next day.
Wednesday was cool. We had Elder Pearson come to our mission. He asked us all to prepare 5 min talks so we did. Those were the ones we were preparing on Tuesday. The conference was AMAZING! I learned so much! He was very.... harsh... and blunt but that was something we all needed. I learned about a lot of things that I could improve on and now the challenge is doing them. We all felt really tired afterwards and felt like.... well like we just got trampled by a herd of cattle but in a good way (if you can imagine that). We were all just very corrected by the Spirit. We had dinner that night with Brion. He cooked pork steaks and they were very good. We had our appointment cancel on us so that was disappointing but it worked out. We went over to this part-member family's house and were able to catch them. It was good to just talk to the mother about her kids and let her know where we see our teaching going so now we are both on the same page. She also said she has talked with her girls about being baptized so that is a good thing!
Thursday was really cool. We got to go do service with all the other missionaries for the Spanish elders baptismal candidates. We went to their house and did yard work for them. They had this pond outside that had some very horrible smelling water in it. It smelled like the nasty water we went repelling to in Zions. The water that had the dead frogs floating in it. Elder Adair and I were the ones with the buckets so we emptied the whole thing. We got a lot of work done. Raking, the water, removing the pond, building a walk way it was GREAT! While we waited for lunch to come we went and played soccer and basketball. We got back just in time to shower and go to dinner. After dinner we tried to see this lady Tamika but she wasn't home so we knocked doors and it didn't work out but I was so happy with our service that day it didn't get me down.
Friday wasn't the best day. I was sick all day long. It was the first time I threw up on my mission and I didn't enjoy it. There is a 24 hour bug going around that is doing that to people so I guess I got it. We went to dinner and I had a very small portion of spaghetti and rice. Elder Rodas took my big piece of chicken... he is a lifesaver.
Saturday was a rainy day. We were asked by the sisters to give a blessing and it went very well. We were also asked by Brion to help clean up the house and we did that. It was good timing because it was a rainy day and that isn't the best weather. I still wasn't feeling well so we took it pretty easy the rest of the day.
Sunday was alright. It was very hectic and a very stressful Sunday. I loved the sacrament though. Whenever I get the opportunity to take the sacrament I am very happy. I learn so much during those few minutes and I am able to read my patriarical blessing. I love it and I love the feeling I get that God is really there sitting next to me so I can just talk with him about my week. I love it! We had a good dinner that day. We were invited to this party thing where everyone brings some food and so it is really fun. We then went to see some people and went to the hospital with Brion to see his uncle. All in all good Sunday.
All in all good week. Its hard for it not to be good when you get rebuked so much by the Spirit. I love you all! Listen to that still small voice.
--
Sincerely,
Elder Zachary Taylor
--
Sincerely,
Elder Zachary Taylor
Nauvoo temple, when we went on March 4th
E. Mena and I outside the Nauvoo temple
A dinner that was dropped off to us, its a full fish just breaded
No comments:
Post a Comment